This article provides steps to complete the Perform Marriage Life Event in the system.
To record the new marriage of a Directory member, you can use the Perform Marriage Life Event. Perform Marriage records the Sacrament of Matrimony for each spouse (unless you specify the marriage as a civil marriage) and updates the family information in Directory.
The Perform Marriage Life Event should be used in the following situations:
Both spouses are already members in Directory - the members are combined into a single family in Directory and the marriage is recorded for both spouses.
- Only one spouse is a Directory member - the new spouse is added to the family during the Perform Marriage process and the marriage is recorded for both spouses.
Note* If neither spouse is a directory member, add the newly married couple as a family in Directory and record their marriage in the sacrament information instead of using Perform marriage. For instructions on adding a family, see Add New Family to Directory.
Complete the following steps to use Perform Marriage:
1. In Directory, locate and select the member who will be designated Head of Household. For help searching for a Directory Member, see Search for a Family or Member in Directory.
2. On the Member Detail card, click the ellipsis to view the drop-down menu.
3. In the drop-down menu, select Perform Marriage.
Marriage Sacrament / Civil Marriage
4. The marriage sacrament will automatically be added to each member's profile in the Perform Marriage process. However, if the marriage is a civil marriage only, not a sacramental marriage, select the toggle for Civil Marriage. When the Civil Marriage toggle is set to on, the marriage sacrament will not be added to either member.
Head of Household Last Name Change
5. If the Head of Household is changing his or her last name, select the Change Last Name toggle and enter the new last name. Leave the toggle off if the Head of Household last name is not changing.
Only One Spouse is a Directory member
6a. If the new spouse is not a member in Directory, click New Member.
7a. Enter the spouse's first and last name. You can enter additional details for this member on the member detail card after the Perform Marriage process has been completed.
Both Spouses are in Directory
6b. If the spouses are already in Directory, enter the name of the spouse who married the Head of Household in the search field.
7b. Select the spouse in the search results.
8b. If the Spouse's last name is changing, enter the new last name. The system automatically records the previous name as the maiden name. A woman's title is automatically updated to Mrs., unless you previously set Dr. as her title.
9. Complete the family details card:
- To assign an envelope to the new family, enter the envelope number or click the Get Next button.
- If needed, update and/or enter the family address information.
- If known, enter the marriage information: date, location and notes. The marriage information will be recorded in the Marriage Sacrament for both spouses.
10. Click Create Family.
The Family Detail Page displays the new family information, as well as the Marriage sacrament icon on each spouse's member card.
Overview of Perform Marriage