Mark as Deceased
This article provides steps to change a person’s status to deceased.
When it is necessary to mark a person as deceased, if it is the current head of household, a new head of household is selected at that time. All Giving data and Form submissions are saved and all currently scheduled gifts are cancelled. This user is also removed from all Envelope Lists.
If the deceased person is the only person in the family, or all other family members are marked as inactive, the family is automatically made inactive, and the family’s active contributor flag is revoked immediately as soon as the individual is marked as deceased.
If someone is marked as deceased in Church Manager, it impacts activity in Online Giving, assuming there are no other active members on the online giving account, all the active gifts are cancelled.
When an individual is marked as deceased in the Directory and there are other surviving adult family members, the active contributor flag remains on the family until the Active Contributor Interval expires.
Here are the steps to mark a person as deceased:
1. From Directory go to Families and Members.
2. Click on the Family to view Family Details.
3. Click on Family Members from the Directory menu.
4. Locate the deceased family member on the Family Member Detail page and click on View Details.
5. On the Member’s card, click on the ellipses (3 vertical dots) to view the drop down menu.
6. Click on the Life Event Mark as Deceased.
7. Enter the Date of Death using the calendar.
8. The user is prompted to select a New Head of Household from the drop down menu if the deceased was the current Head of Household.
9. Enter notes as desired.
10. Select Mark as Deceased.
Click here to find out what else happens to an account when a person is marked as Deceased. Or, click here for steps to edit the date of death.
Note* Visual steps are best viewed at full screen. Click Esc on your keyboard when you are finished viewing.